Gerakbudaya focuses on progressive and thought-provoking books that raise awareness of social and political issues in the world we live in. Proposals should normally have a Malaysia/Southeast Asia focus or connection. Please familiarise yourself with our other titles before contacting us, to ensure that we would be a suitable fit for your work.
- Either full manuscript, or sample chapter, BY EMAIL in Word format, 1.5-spaced, Times New Roman 12pt, numbered pages.
- Use minimal formatting.
- No PDFs.
- One file only. Please do not split chapters into separate files.
- Hardcopy submissions are discouraged and unfortunately cannot be returned unless you cover postage costs.
- A brief outline of your manuscript/proposal (1-2 pages), and word count (including notes, appendices etc.) if manuscript is complete
- Author biography.
- Notes on how your proposed book differs from others on the market, your specific qualifications for writing it, and any ideas or connections you can suggest for promotion or co-publishing.
We particularly welcome:
- fiction with an edge
- nonfiction on underrepresented issues
We are not looking for:
- collections of newspaper columns, unless they’re amazing. Authors in such cases should be prepared to do considerable work in adapting them for a book
- books on themes diverging from our brand; these include business, property, self-help, grammar, etc.
If we are interested in publishing your work we will get back to you within one month. Please note that due to constraints on time and resources we may not be able to get back to you if your submission has been unsuccessful.
Strategic Information and Research Development Centre (SIRD) is our academic imprint with a focus on the areas of Malaysian and Southeast Asian humanities and social sciences particularly in the fields of politics, history, social studies, gender, environmental studies, economics and arts & culture.
To find out more about publishing your work with SIRD please visit our Publications Guidelines.